Veterans’ Memorial Green, Middletown

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownA collection of monuments on Veterans’ Memorial Green along Washington Street in Middletown honors those who served in the Civil War, the two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam.

A 1904 monument near the western end of the green honors the 24th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, a Civil War unit that fought primarily in Louisiana. The monument features a short column flanked by two curved benches and a sphere topped by a bronze eagle. The front (north) face of the monument bears the numeral 24 in a wreath, and lists the battle of Port Hudson. A bronze plaque is inscribed with a dedication “Erected by members of the 24th C.V., citizens of Middletown and [the] state of Connecticut 1904.”

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownThe west face of the monument lists the battle of Irish Bend. The south face lists the battle of Donaldsonville, and bears a plaque honoring about 75 members of the regiment who were killed in action, had died from wounds, or had died after the war’s conclusion. The east face lists the battle of Baton Rouge.

Further east on the green, a polished black granite monument honors the veterans of the Korean and Vietnam wars. Four large panels bears service emblems and the years of the two conflicts, as well as a dedication “Beyond the far Pacific to the rim of Asia they went – twice in a generation – to risk all for honor and freedom.”

The monument’s rear lists two residents who were killed in Vietnam.

Further east, a tall white obelisk honors 37 soldiers and sailors who died in World War I.  A plaque on the south side lists the names of the war heroes, while a plaque on the west side lists the names of seven battles.

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownNearby, three polished granite panels honor the service of World War II veterans. The front bears the dedications “Their devotion and sacrifices contributed to final victory” and “Dedicated to the men and women of Middletown who served in the armed forces of their country in time of war.”

The rear bears a bronze plaque with three columns listing residents who were lost in the war.

Page 1 of 3 | Next page