Two large windows near the museum’s Main Street entrance broke, allowing wind and water into the building.
The museum is seeking contributions to help with the restoration effort. More information and a PayPal link are available at the Barnum Museum’s website.
The museum, itself an historic landmark, opened in 1893 as a museum financed by P.T. Barnum that was devoted to science and history. The city of Bridgeport assumed ownership in the mid-1930s and operated the museum until 1943, when the building was renovated to house municipal offices.