Descendants of the Connecticut 29th Colored Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, dedicated the monument in New Haven’s Crisculo Park.
The 900 soldiers who fought with the regiment are honored with a large, polished black granite monument. Eight smaller monuments, listing members of the regiment, are arranged in an arc ranging from the north to the south. The smaller monuments also list the towns — from Avon to Woodstock — from which members joined.
On the large monument’s west face, a bronze plaque depicts soldiers carrying the United States flag and the unit’s colors while others stand by with rifles. Below the plaque, the unit’s six engagements are listed.
The west face also lists the 45 officers and enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, and the 152 men who died from disease or accident.
The south face is inscribed with a detailed history of the unit, which rallied on the site of today’s Crisculo Park (known as Grapevine Point at the time) and departed for the war in March of 1864.
The east face has an illustration depicting two soldiers, and the north face lists the 2008 dedication by the regiment’s descendents.
The monument was created by sculptor Ed Hamilton, who was also responsible for the Amistad memorial near New Haven’s City Hall.
Members of the CT 29th regiment from the greater Danbury area are honored with a 2007 monument in the city’s Wooster Cemetery.
More information about the regiment, and photos from the New Haven monument’s 2008 dedication ceremony, can be seen at the CT 29th Web site.