The largest feature of the World War II National Submarine Memorial on Bridge Street is the conning tower of the USS Flasher (SS-249). The Flasher, built by Groton’s Electric Boat and commissioned in 1943, was credited with sinking the highest tonnage of Japanese ships (24 vessels and more than 100,000 tons) during World War II.
The memorial site also features a Wall of Honor with polished granite panels listing the 3,617 submariners who died in the World War II. A dedication panel at the center of the wall honors the submariners’ sacrifices and memory.
The submarines are also honored with engraved granite panels lining one of the memorial’s walkways. The panels list a submarine, the number of crew members killed and the date each sub was lost.
The submarine memorial began with the display of the Flasher’s conning tower in 1964 at a site on Route 12. In 1974, the Flasher was moved to its present, well-maintained location. The Wall of Honor was dedicated in 1994.
Sources: U.S. Submarine Veterans, Inc. brochure, submarinehistory.com