The memorial gun, a 100-pounder Parrott rifle, was dedicated in 1901 to honor local Civil War veterans.
A dedication engraved on the front (north) face of the monument’s base reads, “Memorial gun. Reminding us of the heroic deeds of our soldiers and sailors of the Republic in the War of the Rebellion for the preservation of the Union. Erected 1901. From USS Tallapoosa.”
The east face of the monuments base bears a plaque honoring local World War II veterans. The plaque lists about 176 names, and highlights one resident killed during the war.
The cannon was made in 1864 at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York. It was used on the USS Tallapoosa, a gunship built at the Boston Navy Yard in 1864. The Tallapoosa helped maintain the blockade of Confederate ports during the way, and was used for transport, training and dispatch after the war.
The Tallapoosa image below and information is from the Naval Historical Center.