Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.Chatham, Massachusetts, honors its Civil War heroes with a marble monument on a Main Street green.

The marble obelisk, on a green near the triangular intersection of Main and Seaview streets, bears a dedication on its southwest face reading, “Erected by the town of Chatham in memory of those that fell in the Rebellion of 1861 to 1865.”

The southwest face also bears a decorative trophy depicting crossed rifles and flags.

The southeast face lists the name, affiliation, ages and details about the wounding and death of six local veterans who perished during their Civil War service. The men ranged in age from 19 to 36, and the listing for Benjamin F. Bassett appears to have a correction for his age (an uncommon occurrence for a marble war monument).

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.The northwest face lists seven names of war heroes who ranged in age from 18 to 56.

The monument has been attributed to sculptor James H. Jenks.

The monument is not dated, but its similarity to other monuments from the late 1860s (including the 1865 Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Wellfleet) would suggest the Chatham monument was dedicated during that general period.

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Chatham, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.Wellfleet, Massachusetts, honors its Civil War veterans with a marble monument in the historic Duck Creek Cemetery.

The Civil War monument was dedicated in 1866 to honor the 221 residents who served in the conflict.

A dedication on the monument’s west face reads, “Erected to the memory of Wellfleet’s heroes by the Ladies Soldiers Aid Society, assisted by the subscribers to the war fund.”

The west face also features a decorative trophy displaying crossed cannons and muskets, the U.S. shield and a flag.

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.The monument’s south face bears an inscription reading, “Bright hopes on freedom’s altar laid,” and honors three residents who died during their service by listing their names, ages, regimental affiliations, and dates and places of death.

The north face bears an inscription reading, “Died for our country in naval service,” and lists details about five residents who died during their service.

Among the five are John D. Langly, 49, who died while serving in New Orleans in July of 1862. His death came shortly after the death of his son, John N. Langly, 22, who died at Cairo, Illinois in May of 1862. The younger John Langly was the third of 10 children the older John Langly would have with Hannah A Baker.

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.The monument is topped with a decorative funereal urn topped with a representation of an eternal flame.

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wellfleet, Mass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument Rededicated in New Haven

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument RededicationOn Sunday afternoon, the 1887 Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument in New Haven’s East Rock Park was rededicated in a ceremony that took place on the monument’s 125th anniversary.

The rededication was organized by the Connecticut 9th Irish Regiment, the Irish History Round Table and the Connecticut Irish American Historical Society.

An honor guard from several reenactment organizations laid a wreath at the monument’s base, and State Troubadour Emeritus Tom Callinan entertained the crowd with Civil War songs.

The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument was dedicated in 1887 to honor soldiers and sailors who fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Mexican-American War and the Civil War.

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument RededicationAn estimated 100,000 people attended the monument’s original dedication. Although Sunday’s crowd was a little smaller, the event provided a fitting tribute to the monument and the New Haven veterans it honors.

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

East Rock Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Rededication

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PA

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PAThe Borough of Jim Thorpe, PA, honors its Civil War veterans with a zinc monument supplied by a Bridgeport, CT, manufacturer.

The Soliders and Sailors Monument, which stands near Packer Hill Road and the Carbon County courthouse, was dedicated in 1886 to honor veterans of the Civil War and earlier conflicts from the borough (then named Mauch Chunk) and nearby communities.

A dedication on the monument’s front (south) face reads, “To the brave defenders of the Union from the County of Carbon.” The battle of Appomattox is also listed on the south face.

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PAThe east face has an excerpt from the Bivouac of the Dead poem by Theodore O’Hara, which appears in several national cemeteries and numerous Civil War monuments (including the Soldiers’ Monument in Derby, CT). The excerpt reads, “On fame’s eternal camping ground their silent tents were spread, and glory guards with solemn round the bivouac of the dead.”

The east face also honors veterans of the 1847 Mexican War.

The north face lists the Civil War battles of the Wilderness, Hampton Roads, Antietam and Gettysburg, as well as the 1815 Battle of New Orleans.

The west face has an inscription reading, “Erected under the auspices of Chapman Post No. 61, G.A.R., 1886.” (The G.A.R. was the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War veterans’ organization.)

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PAWorld War II

The monument also has an Honor Roll plaque on the base of its south face honoring the county’s World War II veterans. The plaque has eight columns of names, and honors 18 veterans who died during their World War II service.

The monument was rededicated in 1993 after being damaged in a motor vehicle accident.

White Bronze

The Civil War monument was supplied by the Monumental Bronze Company of Bridgeport, CT, which also supplied the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument in Stratford, CT. While there are some differences between the Jim Thorpe and Stratford monuments, such as the standard-bearer in Stratford and some ornamental details, the monuments are very similar.

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PAMonumental Bronze was one of the leading suppliers of a zinc alloy they marketed as “white bronze.”

White bronze headstones can be seen in many older cemeteries, and can be recognized quickly by their distinctive pewter-like color.

Zinc worked pretty well for smaller headstones, but the soft, brittle material created structural problems when it ws used for large Civil War monuments.

The Jim Thorpe monument received extensive work in 1984 to repair corrosion at its base.

 

 

 

 

 

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Honor Roll, Jim Thorpe, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soliders and Sailors Monument, Jim Thorpe, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorials, Weatherly, PA

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PAWeatherly, Pennsylvania, honors its war heroes and veterans with several monuments.

The most prominent monument on the hillside near the intersection of East Main and Spring streets is the borough’s 1906 Civil War monument. The monument features a standard-bearer holding, in an uncommon pose, an unsheathed sword.

A dedication on the west face of the monument’s granite base reads, “1861-1865. Our country’s crisis. Erected by the citizens of Weatherly and vincinity, A.D. 1906, in memory of its noble defenders.”

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PAThe monument’s east face bears an excerpt from the conclusion of Lincoln’s Gettysburg address reading, “We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

We’re not sure what material was used to create the soldier figure, but our best guess is that was cast in zinc and painted to resemble bronze.

On the hillside in front of the monument, a Rodman gun is flanked by two cannonball pyramids.

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PAThe hillside also features three monuments honoring Weatherly’s veterans of the two World Wars, Vietnam, Korea and Desert Storm.

The central monument bears a dedication reading, “Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served their country. Let none forget they gave their all and faltered not when came the call.”

The monument’s World War I section lists four residents who died during their service, and the World War II section lists 15 names.

The Vietnam memorial lists three residents who died in the conflict and one who was reported missing in action.

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PAMemorials to the Korean War and Operation Desert Storm do not list any local casualties.

The large school building in the background was donated to the town in 1903 by Bethlehem Steel president Charles M. Schwab and named after his wife, a Weatherly native. The building originally served all grades, and was expanded in 1936. Separate elementary and middle schools were built over the years, and the borough closed the Schwab school after opening a high school in 1990.

 

 

Veterans Memorials, Weatherly, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Monument, Weatherly, PA

War Memorials, Milford PA

War Memorial, Milford PAMilford, Pennsylvania, honors war veterans and heroes with three monuments in its historic district.

The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument on Broad Street (U.S. routes 29 and 6) was dedicated in 1931 and restored in 1991. A bronze plaque on the monument’s front (northwest) face reads, “ Dedicated in honor and memory of the soldiers and sailors from Pike County, Pennsylvania, who answered our country’s call to arms in wars of our nation.”

The monument also features a bronze eagle atop a small globe.

On the other side of Broad Street, the 1874 Pike County courthouse has two memorial plaques on its southeast face. A World War I plaque bears a dedication reading, “To honor those of Pike County who served in the World War.”

War Memorial, Milford PAThe plaque has five columns of names listing county residents, and highlights 15 residents who died during their World War I service.

The courthouse wall also features a 1938 plaque honoring the county’s Civil War veterans. The dedication reads, “In memory of Civil War men who served from Pike Co., Penna.,” and mentions that the plaque was placed by the Gettysburg chapter of the National Society Daughters of the Union 1861-65.”

The plaque contains four columns of names.

Milford is the seat of Pike County, which was formed in 1814. The country was named for Zebulon Pike, who discovered Pike’s Peak and was killed while serving as a general in the War of 1812.

War Memorial, Milford PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Milford PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pike County Courthouse, Milford PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Honor Roll, Milford, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil War Honor Roll, Milford, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pike Country Courthouse, Milford, PA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ Monument, Naugatuck

Soldiers' Monument, NaugatuckNaugatuck honors its Civil War veterans with a monument on the town green.

The monument, which we first visited in 2009, was dedicated in 1885. Its east face bears a dedication from the people of Naugatuck “In honor of her sons who fought to maintain the Union 1861-1865.”

The monument in the right background of the top image was dedicated in 1921 to honor Naugatuck’s World War I veterans.

The creche displayed in front of the monument plays Christmas carols.

 

Soldiers' Monument, Naugatuck

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, Naugatuck

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, Naugatuck

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorials, Stony Creek

War Memorials, Stony CreekWar veterans from the Stony Creek section of Branford are honored with monuments on a small green.

The green, at the intersections of Halls Point, Sachem and Thimble Islands roads, features three monuments made from the pink granite for which Stony Creek is well known.

The central monument features three Honor Roll plaques on its north face. The oldes of the plaques lists the names of 36 World War I veterans and bears a dedication reading, “A tribute to the valor of the men of Stony Creek who entered the service of their country to fight in the great war for world-wide liberty 1917-1919.”

War Memorials, Stony CreekThe World War I memorial is flanked by a plaque listing 26 American Revolution veterans and four veterans of the War of 1812, as well as a plaque listing 10 Civil War veterans and six veterans of the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

An undated pink granite Honor Roll monument to the east of the World War I memorial lists two columns of names of local World War II veterans.

A pink granite monument to the west of the World War I monument, dedicated in 1976, honors veterans of Korea and Vietnam.

Isaac Lewis Fountain

War Memorials, Stony CreekA short distance from the war monuments, a memorial fountain honors industrialist and part-time Stony Creek resident Isaac C. Lewis.

The fountain, at the three-way intersection of Indian Point, Thimble Islands and Three Elms roads, features a dedication on its east face reading, “In loving memory of Isaac C. Lewis of Meriden, Conn. The gift of his daughter, Kate A.L. Chapin.”

Isaac Lewis founded a Meriden company that manufactured plated tableware, represented Meriden in the state legislature and served as the city’s mayor.

His Stony Creek house, which stands today, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

 

 

 

War Memorials, Stony Creek

War Memorials, Stony Creek

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Fountain, Stony Creek

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Fountain, Stony Creek

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Fountain, Stony Creek

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ Monument, Guilford

Soldiers' Monument, GuilfordWe first profiled the Soldiers’ Monument on the Guilford green in April of 2009, but last week we noticed that the monument is displaying a wreath for the holiday season.

The base of the monument, made from pink granite that was quarried locally, was dedicated in 1877. The gray granite infantryman, supplied from a Massachusetts firm, was added to the monument 10 years later.

The monument’s south face bears a dedication reading, ““In memory of the men of Guilford who fell and in honor of those who served in the war for the Union, the grateful town erects this monument, that their example may speak to coming generations.”

Soldiers' Monument, GuilfordThe south face also lists 14 residents who died during their Civil War service. The first name on the list is that of Uriah Parmelee, a Guilford native who left Yale during his junior year to serve in the Union Army. Parmelee was killed in April of 1865, and is also honored on the Yale Civil War Memorial in Woolsey Hall.

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall, New Canaan

Town Hall, New CanaanNew Canaan honors its war veterans with several Honor Roll plaques in the lobby of Town Hall.

On the east wall of the first floor hallway, a plaque honors New Canaan’s veterans of the American Revolution, the Mexican-American War, and the Civil War. The American Revolution sections lists about 130 residents. The Mexican-American War section has two names, and the Civil War section lists about 225 names.

On the west wall, a plaque lists about 260 residents who served in World War I.

Town Hall, New CanaanBoth plaques were dedicated in 1923.

In the front foyer, plaques honor residents who served in World War II, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm.

In front of Town Hall, an English Blakely Rifle has been mounted to honor New Canaan’s Civil War veterans. The cannon bears an undated plaque on its northeast face reading, “Presented to the Samuel P. Ferris Post No. 61 G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) by the Howard M. Bossa Post No. 653 V.F.W. of the U.S.A.”

Samuel P. Ferris was a West Point graduate who served as colonel of the Twenty Eighth Regiment of the Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. The regiment, formed for a nine-month enlistment, recruited 678 men from Litchfield and New Haven counties. The regiment was involved in the capture of Port Hudson, Louisiana, in June of 1863 before mustering out in August of 1863.

Town Hall, New Canaan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall, New Canaan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall, New Canaan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall, New Canaan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall, New Canaan