Category Archives: Vietnam

Veterans’ Memorial Green, Middletown

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownA collection of monuments on Veterans’ Memorial Green along Washington Street in Middletown honors those who served in the Civil War, the two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam.

A 1904 monument near the western end of the green honors the 24th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, a Civil War unit that fought primarily in Louisiana. The monument features a short column flanked by two curved benches and a sphere topped by a bronze eagle. The front (north) face of the monument bears the numeral 24 in a wreath, and lists the battle of Port Hudson. A bronze plaque is inscribed with a dedication “Erected by members of the 24th C.V., citizens of Middletown and [the] state of Connecticut 1904.”

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownThe west face of the monument lists the battle of Irish Bend. The south face lists the battle of Donaldsonville, and bears a plaque honoring about 75 members of the regiment who were killed in action, had died from wounds, or had died after the war’s conclusion. The east face lists the battle of Baton Rouge.

Further east on the green, a polished black granite monument honors the veterans of the Korean and Vietnam wars. Four large panels bears service emblems and the years of the two conflicts, as well as a dedication “Beyond the far Pacific to the rim of Asia they went – twice in a generation – to risk all for honor and freedom.”

The monument’s rear lists two residents who were killed in Vietnam.

Further east, a tall white obelisk honors 37 soldiers and sailors who died in World War I.  A plaque on the south side lists the names of the war heroes, while a plaque on the west side lists the names of seven battles.

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownNearby, three polished granite panels honor the service of World War II veterans. The front bears the dedications “Their devotion and sacrifices contributed to final victory” and “Dedicated to the men and women of Middletown who served in the armed forces of their country in time of war.”

The rear bears a bronze plaque with three columns listing residents who were lost in the war.

24th CT Volunteers Monument, Middletown

Korea and Vietnam Memorial, Middletown

Veterans' Memorial Green, Middletown

World War Monument, Middletown

World War II Monument, Middletown

World War II Monument, Middletown


Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonSeveral monuments honoring the wartime service of local residents grace Coe Memorial Park in downtown Torrington.

At the north end of the park, near the intersection of Main Street and Litchfield Turnpike, stands the Wolcottville Soldiers’ Monument, which reflects the name of the city during the monument’s dedication in 1879.

The monument, with an uncommon round shaft, features an infantry soldier holding a rifle. The front (north) face includes the Connecticut and United States shields above a dedication “to the defenders of the Union.” The monument’s rear lists the battles of Gettysburg and Antietam, as well as Virginia battles at Winchester, Malvern Hill, Cold Harbor, Petersburgh (sic) and Cedar Creek.

The monument was moved to the park from its former location, in front of city hall, in 1936.

Near the center of the park is a large flagpole with a six-sided base that honors veterans from conflicts including the two World Wars, the American Revolution, the Spanish-American War, Korea, Vietnam, and the Civil War. Veterans of the First World War are listed, while the other wars are honored with more generic descriptions. A plaque also singles out local Italian-American veterans for recognition.

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonNear the flagpole monument, the local VFW post donated a 155-mm howitzer that looks impressive in the park. The barrel looks poised to cause serious damage to the rest of downtown Torrington.

At the southern end of the park, a large stone fountain honors the service and sacrifice of local Vietnam veterans and heroes.

Coe Memorial Park was donated to the city in 1908 by the children of Lyman Wetmore Coe and his wife, Eliza Seymour Coe. Mr. Coe was the owner of a local brass company, and the park was the site of their homestead. 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

 

War Memorial, Danbury

War Memorial, DanburyA collection of monuments near the War Memorial community center and gym in Danbury honor the service and sacrifice of local veterans and war heroes.

The War Memorial, built in 1951 near the entrance to Rogers Park, was dedicated “to honor the dead [and] to serve the living.” The facility offers recreational facilities and community events, and the grounds in front of the building feature memorials to the World Wars, Vietnam and Korea, and honor two local recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Near the War Memorial entrance are five plaques honoring those who served in the major wars since World War I. Starting at the visitor’s left, the first plaque bears the dedication “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in World War II 1941-1945 The memory of these departed heroes always lives,” and lists the names  of 103 residents lost in the war.

War Memorial, DanburyThe next monument to the right lists a dozen names of people from Danbury and surrounding towns who died in the Korean War.

In the center of the monument collection is a plaque dedicated “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in the World War 1917-1919 And in memory of these men who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty.” The plaque lists the names, service affiliation, and the date and location of death, of 35 men.

The nearby Vietnam memorial lists the names of 59 men from Danbury and other towns who were killed or reported missing in the war.

The monument on the visitor’s far right also honors World War I veterans, and was erected by the Danbury High School alumni association to honor graduates who served in the war. Four columns of names are listed, and three graduates who died in the war are honored separately on the plaque (as well as on the other World War I memorial).

War Memorial, DanburyNear the north end of the grounds in front of the War Memorial is a 1988 monument honoring the service of men and women from the region in the Vietnam War. The monument is topped by a statue of an infantry soldier cradling a young girl. The soldier is mounted on a granite base with three bronze plaques.

The central plaque lists the names of 47 men from Danbury and the towns of Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Redding and Ridgefield who were lost in the conflict. The plaque on the left depicts a map of Vietnam and service medals, and the right plaque depicts a medical evacuation scene.

We were impressed at the gesture made by Danbury veterans to honor their colleagues from neighboring towns on the Vietnam and Korea monuments.

War Memorial, DanburyA bit south of the Vietnam memorial is a polished black granite monument to the sacrifice of 17 men from the region who were killed in the Korean War. The monument is topped by an eagle standing on top of a globe. The central panel features an etched map of Korea and a dedication to those who died, are missing or returned safely. (These photos were taken in mid-March, which helps explain the holiday wreath at the base of this monument.)

The left panel honors the memory of war heroes from Danbury, New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Redding and Newtown, and the right panel has an explanation and statistics that educate visitors about the war.

Two smaller nearby monuments honor local heroes who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, and several trees commemorate the Sept. 11 victims and local residents who have made a variety of civic contributions to Danbury. 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

Soldiers’ Monument, North Branford

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordAn 1866 obelisk on the North Branford town green was among the first monuments in the state to honor Civil War veterans.

The monument stands on the green along Foxon Road (Route 80), next to the Congregational Church, and was dedicated in April of 1866 — less than a year after the war’s conclusion.  The monument a bears simple inscription on its front (southeast) face reading “Our soldiers” and the year 1865.

The northeast face of the monument lists the names, unit affiliations and places of death of two local soldiers killed in the war. The northwest face lists three soldiers and the southwest face honors two soldiers.

The Civil War monument is one in a series of monuments aligned along the town green. Moving south, the next monument is a boulder with a bronze plaque that honors World War I veterans. The plaque bears the dedication “to the men who served their country during the World War” and lists 17 names.

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordNext to that monument is another stone monument with a plaque, apparently of recent vintage, with four columns of names honoring veterans of World War II. A separate monument, further south, honors six local residents who were killed in the war.

Completing the monument collection on the green is a rough boulder at the southern end that is dedicated to those who served in the Vietnam War. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Green, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sources:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

History of North Branford

Soldiers’ Monument, Guilford

Soldiers' Monument, GuilfordA two-toned monument of pink and gray granite honoring Civil War veterans stands at the center of the green in Guilford. 

The monument, featuring an infantryman standing with a rifle in his hands, was completed in two stages that were dedicated 10 years apart. The base, made of pink granite quarried locally, was dedicated in 1877. The soldier, made of gray granite and supplied from a Massachusetts firm, was dedicated in 1887. 

Such a delay in the construction of Civil War monuments, while not common, was not unique to Guilford. The figure atop the Soldiers’ Monument on the Derby Green, for instance, was dedicated six years after the base. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe dedication on the front (south) face of the Guilford monument reads: “In memory of the men of Guilford who fell and in honor of those who served in the war for the Union, the grateful town erects this monument, that their example may speak to coming generations.” The south face also lists the battle of Antietam, as well as the names and regimental affiliations of 14 residents killed in the war. 

The east face lists Gettysburg and an additional 14 names. The north face, which is harder to read, lists Fredericksburg (Va.) and an estimated 15 names. The west face lists Port Royal (S.C.) and 14 names. The first name listed on the west face is Douglas Fowler, a Guilford native who was commanding the 17th Conn. Volunteer Regiment when he was killed in Gettysburg on the first day of the battle (July 1, 1863). 

The gray infantry figure, like many Hollywood starlets, appears to have undergone repairs to his nose at some point during the 121 years he has stood in Guilford. 

On the southwest corner of the green, a boulder bears a bronze plaque dedicated “in honor of our men and women who served in the World War 1917 1918.” The monument also lists the names of about 97 residents who served, as well as four names of residents who gave their lives in the conflict. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe town’s World War II monument, on the southeast corner of the green, features three blocks of pink granite (that also may have been quarried locally). The central block, the largest of the three, honors 16 residents who died in the war by listing their names, ranks and service affiliations. The blocks to the east and west bear bronze plaques describing Guilford’s contributions to the war, including the fact that 500 men and women served in the military as well as the efforts of local farms and businesses. 

The Vietnam war sacrifice of three residents is honored by a 1984 monument on the  northwest corner of the green. That granite monument bears the dedication “Each peaceful dawn in this place we are reminded of these men who died for their country.”

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordA tree near the Vietnam monument has been dedicated to the memory of 9/11 victims, and a monument near the northeast corner of the green honors local firefighters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut


Soldiers’ Monument, Thomaston

Soldiers' Monument, ThomastonThomaston’s Civil War monument, dedicated in 1902, stands in a small park surrounded by monuments to the two World Wars and the conflicts that followed. 

The Soldiers’ Monument is a multi-layered, square granite shaft topped by a caped infantryman holding a rifle by its barrel. The front (west) side of the shaft bears the dedication “Erected by C.L. Russell Post, No. 68, G.A.R. and citizens, in commemoration of the soldiers who served in the Civil War.” (The G.A.R. refers to the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War veterans organization.) 

The west face also bears an ornate symbolic eagle in front of two crossed flags, and the battle of Cold Harbor (Va.) is displayed just below the infantryman’s feet.  

The south face commemorates the battle of Gettysburg and features an ornate wreath. The east face honors the battle of Cedar Creek (Va.) and displays the seal of the state of Connecticut. The north face bears a GAR medal and commemorates the battle of Appomattox (Va.), the site of General Lee’s surrender. 

An 1863 cannon stands to the north of the monument, and a later-vintage cannon (perhaps from World War I) stands on the south side of the monument. 

Soliders’ Monument, ThomastonBehind the Civil War monument, a large granite memorial honors veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam and in the Persian Gulf. Several bronze plaques list local residents who served in these conflicts, with the World War II monument listing an estimated more than 1,200 names among its five columns. The Korean conflict plaques list more than 165 names, and the Vietnam plaques list an estimated 225 or so names. 

The southwest corner of the park features the World War I Roll of Honor, which was dedicated “by the town of Thomaston to those who served their country in the World War.”

The Roll of Honor monument, which has an iron fence in front of it, also bears a quote from President Woodrow Wilson reading “in a righteous cause they have won immortal glory and have nobly served their nation in serving mankind.”

The monument also features a stylized representation of Liberty standing between a soldier and a sailor, who are surrounded with symbolic flourishes including an airplane, a lighthouse, a cannon and other decorative elements. 

War Memorial, ThomastonBelow these elements is a bronze plaque with four columns of names honoring members of the Army, Navy, Marines and, in an uncommon but rather nice touch, 10 Red Cross and Army nurses.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

Soldiers’ Monument, Derby

Soldiers' Monument, DerbyDerby’s Civil War monument, on the Elizabeth Street side of the town green, honors soldiers from Derby and Huntington (a predecessor of today’s city of Shelton) who served and died in the war. 

The Derby monument has two dedication dates. The base was dedicated in 1877. Six years later, after additional funds were raised, the based was remodeled and the infantryman statue was added. (As a side benefit, this allows you to have two dedication ceremonies, as well as the associated parades and parties.) 

Even without the figure, the monument would be impressive. The front and rear plaques honor the men of Derby and Huntington who fell during the war of the rebellion, and the side plaques list about 81 names and regimental affiliations of local residents killed during the conflict. 

Soldiers' Monument, DerbyOne side also features a brief excerpt from the “Bivouac of the Dead” poem by Theodore O’Hara, which appears on plaques and monuments in many National and Confederate cemeteries.

The base has raised inscriptions listing the battles of Atlanta, Chancellorsville (Va.), New Bern (N.C.) and Gettysburg.  

The four cannons at the base of the Derby monument are 30-pounder Parrott rifles that were manufactured in 1861 at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York. Similar cannons can be found at the Civil War monument in Seymour, which will be profiled in a future post. 

The Derby Green also features monuments to local veterans of the world wars, Korea and Vietnam, as well as a second memorial listing nine residents who were killed in Korea and Vietnam. A bell at the southwest corner of the green honors local firefighters. 

derbycw3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

derbycw1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

p1130423

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, Derby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Veterans' monument, Derby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Korea and Vietnam memorial, Derby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Firefighters' memorial, Derby

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments in Connecticut


Veterans’ Walk, West Haven

Vietnam Memorial, West HavenOn President’s Day, we’re highlighting West Haven’s Veterans’ Walk, a collection of monuments and tributes at Bradley Point that was dedicated in 2007.

The largest monument in the Veterans’ Walk collection features four black granite slabs that are dedicated to the local residents who served and died in the Vietnam War. Three large, slanted panels list about 282 names of residents who served, including six who were killed in the conflict. In front of the tablets, at the base of three flagpoles, are pillars with the emblems of the country’s military service branches, as well as a larger tablet etched with a map of Vietnam and the inscription “All gave some, some gave all.”

Two matching black granite monuments are located near the Vietnam memorial. One is dedicated to the residents who served in the Korean War. The other is dedicated to William A. Soderman, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for defending an important road junction against German tanks in 1944 with bazooka fire

Vietnam Memorial, West HavenAlso near the monuments are a series of smaller pillars displaying the logos of veterans’  organizations from all of the wars fought by the United States. 

The sidewalks leading visitors through the Veterans’ Walk area are lined with commemorative bricks bearing the names of local veterans. 

Not far from Veteran’s Walk is a monument dedicated to the victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, as well as a monument to the veterans from West Haven’s First Avenue who fought in World War II. West Haven has a collection of World War II monuments in several locations that will be featured in a future post. 

Bradley Point, located on the west shore of New Haven harbor, sits next to the Savin Rock area that hosted seaside amusement parks until urban redevelopment efforts were launched in the 1960s. 

William A. Soderman MOH memorial, West HavenBradley Point was also a landing area for British troops who invaded New Haven in 1779. The Defenders’ Monument dedicated to colonists who resisted that invasion was highlighted in a post on January 28, 2009

 

 

 

 

 

 

Korean War Memorial, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Veterans' Walk, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Grand Army of the Republic Monument, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Korea and Vietnam wars memorial, Milford

Korea and Vietnam memorial, MilfordThis week’s look at monuments in downtown Milford continues with some images of the Korea and Vietnam wars memorial located near the west end of the Milford Green. The monument was dedicated on Veteran’s Day, 1986.

The memorial flagpole near the center of the green lists the names of four local residents who were killed during the Korean War, as well as the names of 11 residents who were killed during the Vietnam War. 

 

 

 

Korea and Vietnam memorial, Milford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Korea and Vietnam memorial, Milford