War Memorial, Stratford

War Memorial, StratfordA war memorial featuring a female allegorical figure representing patriotism and peace stands on a green near the corners of West Broad and Main Street in Stratford.

The monument, at the east end of the West Broad Street Green, was dedicated in 1931 as a memorial to peace intended to honor the local men and women who served in the country’s wars, including the first World War (during which 630 residents served and 13 lost their lives).

The monument’s sculptor, Willard Paddock, was a Kent resident who was charged by the committee to create a monument to peace.

Paddock’s monument depicts a seated figure holding a large shield, decorated with stars and an eagle, in her left arm. The shield is protecting a dove, which symbolizes peace. Her lap is decorated with oak leaves and stars symbolizing local residents lost in combat.

War Memorial, StratfordHer right hand once held a sword, which was reportedly removed after the monument’s completion because some felt it was not in keeping with the monument’s peace theme. The hilt of the former sword is still visible.

The monument was dedicated on May 24, 1931, in ceremonies attended by Governor Wilbur Cross (for whom the state would later name a parkway). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Stratford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Stratford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Stratford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Stratford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

In Pursuit of Paradise: a History of Stratford, CT by Lewis G. Knapp, 1989, Stratford Historical Society

War Memorial, Danbury

War Memorial, DanburyA collection of monuments near the War Memorial community center and gym in Danbury honor the service and sacrifice of local veterans and war heroes.

The War Memorial, built in 1951 near the entrance to Rogers Park, was dedicated “to honor the dead [and] to serve the living.” The facility offers recreational facilities and community events, and the grounds in front of the building feature memorials to the World Wars, Vietnam and Korea, and honor two local recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Near the War Memorial entrance are five plaques honoring those who served in the major wars since World War I. Starting at the visitor’s left, the first plaque bears the dedication “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in World War II 1941-1945 The memory of these departed heroes always lives,” and lists the names  of 103 residents lost in the war.

War Memorial, DanburyThe next monument to the right lists a dozen names of people from Danbury and surrounding towns who died in the Korean War.

In the center of the monument collection is a plaque dedicated “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in the World War 1917-1919 And in memory of these men who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty.” The plaque lists the names, service affiliation, and the date and location of death, of 35 men.

The nearby Vietnam memorial lists the names of 59 men from Danbury and other towns who were killed or reported missing in the war.

The monument on the visitor’s far right also honors World War I veterans, and was erected by the Danbury High School alumni association to honor graduates who served in the war. Four columns of names are listed, and three graduates who died in the war are honored separately on the plaque (as well as on the other World War I memorial).

War Memorial, DanburyNear the north end of the grounds in front of the War Memorial is a 1988 monument honoring the service of men and women from the region in the Vietnam War. The monument is topped by a statue of an infantry soldier cradling a young girl. The soldier is mounted on a granite base with three bronze plaques.

The central plaque lists the names of 47 men from Danbury and the towns of Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Redding and Ridgefield who were lost in the conflict. The plaque on the left depicts a map of Vietnam and service medals, and the right plaque depicts a medical evacuation scene.

We were impressed at the gesture made by Danbury veterans to honor their colleagues from neighboring towns on the Vietnam and Korea monuments.

War Memorial, DanburyA bit south of the Vietnam memorial is a polished black granite monument to the sacrifice of 17 men from the region who were killed in the Korean War. The monument is topped by an eagle standing on top of a globe. The central panel features an etched map of Korea and a dedication to those who died, are missing or returned safely. (These photos were taken in mid-March, which helps explain the holiday wreath at the base of this monument.)

The left panel honors the memory of war heroes from Danbury, New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Redding and Newtown, and the right panel has an explanation and statistics that educate visitors about the war.

Two smaller nearby monuments honor local heroes who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, and several trees commemorate the Sept. 11 victims and local residents who have made a variety of civic contributions to Danbury. 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

Soldiers’ Monument, North Branford

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordAn 1866 obelisk on the North Branford town green was among the first monuments in the state to honor Civil War veterans.

The monument stands on the green along Foxon Road (Route 80), next to the Congregational Church, and was dedicated in April of 1866 — less than a year after the war’s conclusion.  The monument a bears simple inscription on its front (southeast) face reading “Our soldiers” and the year 1865.

The northeast face of the monument lists the names, unit affiliations and places of death of two local soldiers killed in the war. The northwest face lists three soldiers and the southwest face honors two soldiers.

The Civil War monument is one in a series of monuments aligned along the town green. Moving south, the next monument is a boulder with a bronze plaque that honors World War I veterans. The plaque bears the dedication “to the men who served their country during the World War” and lists 17 names.

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordNext to that monument is another stone monument with a plaque, apparently of recent vintage, with four columns of names honoring veterans of World War II. A separate monument, further south, honors six local residents who were killed in the war.

Completing the monument collection on the green is a rough boulder at the southern end that is dedicated to those who served in the Vietnam War. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Green, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sources:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

History of North Branford

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

War Memorial Boulder, NorthfordA boulder on Middletown Avenue in the Northford section of North Branford honors local residents who served in the wars between the American Revolution and World War II.

The boulder was first dedicated in 1920, when the bronze plaque on the front (east) face honored veterans of the American Revolution, Civil War and the World War. The monument’s dedication reads “Erected in 1920 by the Society of Northford in honor of her sons who answered their country’s call.”

The American Revolution section lists 50 names. The Civil War section lists 32 names, and the World War Honor Roll lists nine names.

The boulder sits in a small triangular area where Middletown Avenue intersects with Clintonville and Old Post roads. The church uphill from the monument is the Northford Congregational Church.

War Memorial Boulder, NorthfordThe rear side of the monument bears an undated plaque (obviously added after the war) that honors World War II veterans. The plaque lists the names of 78 local residents who served in the war, with stars indicating the names of two residents who were killed in the conflict. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

Soldiers’ Monument, Guilford

Soldiers' Monument, GuilfordA two-toned monument of pink and gray granite honoring Civil War veterans stands at the center of the green in Guilford. 

The monument, featuring an infantryman standing with a rifle in his hands, was completed in two stages that were dedicated 10 years apart. The base, made of pink granite quarried locally, was dedicated in 1877. The soldier, made of gray granite and supplied from a Massachusetts firm, was dedicated in 1887. 

Such a delay in the construction of Civil War monuments, while not common, was not unique to Guilford. The figure atop the Soldiers’ Monument on the Derby Green, for instance, was dedicated six years after the base. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe dedication on the front (south) face of the Guilford monument reads: “In memory of the men of Guilford who fell and in honor of those who served in the war for the Union, the grateful town erects this monument, that their example may speak to coming generations.” The south face also lists the battle of Antietam, as well as the names and regimental affiliations of 14 residents killed in the war. 

The east face lists Gettysburg and an additional 14 names. The north face, which is harder to read, lists Fredericksburg (Va.) and an estimated 15 names. The west face lists Port Royal (S.C.) and 14 names. The first name listed on the west face is Douglas Fowler, a Guilford native who was commanding the 17th Conn. Volunteer Regiment when he was killed in Gettysburg on the first day of the battle (July 1, 1863). 

The gray infantry figure, like many Hollywood starlets, appears to have undergone repairs to his nose at some point during the 121 years he has stood in Guilford. 

On the southwest corner of the green, a boulder bears a bronze plaque dedicated “in honor of our men and women who served in the World War 1917 1918.” The monument also lists the names of about 97 residents who served, as well as four names of residents who gave their lives in the conflict. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe town’s World War II monument, on the southeast corner of the green, features three blocks of pink granite (that also may have been quarried locally). The central block, the largest of the three, honors 16 residents who died in the war by listing their names, ranks and service affiliations. The blocks to the east and west bear bronze plaques describing Guilford’s contributions to the war, including the fact that 500 men and women served in the military as well as the efforts of local farms and businesses. 

The Vietnam war sacrifice of three residents is honored by a 1984 monument on the  northwest corner of the green. That granite monument bears the dedication “Each peaceful dawn in this place we are reminded of these men who died for their country.”

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordA tree near the Vietnam monument has been dedicated to the memory of 9/11 victims, and a monument near the northeast corner of the green honors local firefighters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut


Soldiers’ Monument, Thomaston

Soldiers' Monument, ThomastonThomaston’s Civil War monument, dedicated in 1902, stands in a small park surrounded by monuments to the two World Wars and the conflicts that followed. 

The Soldiers’ Monument is a multi-layered, square granite shaft topped by a caped infantryman holding a rifle by its barrel. The front (west) side of the shaft bears the dedication “Erected by C.L. Russell Post, No. 68, G.A.R. and citizens, in commemoration of the soldiers who served in the Civil War.” (The G.A.R. refers to the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War veterans organization.) 

The west face also bears an ornate symbolic eagle in front of two crossed flags, and the battle of Cold Harbor (Va.) is displayed just below the infantryman’s feet.  

The south face commemorates the battle of Gettysburg and features an ornate wreath. The east face honors the battle of Cedar Creek (Va.) and displays the seal of the state of Connecticut. The north face bears a GAR medal and commemorates the battle of Appomattox (Va.), the site of General Lee’s surrender. 

An 1863 cannon stands to the north of the monument, and a later-vintage cannon (perhaps from World War I) stands on the south side of the monument. 

Soliders’ Monument, ThomastonBehind the Civil War monument, a large granite memorial honors veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam and in the Persian Gulf. Several bronze plaques list local residents who served in these conflicts, with the World War II monument listing an estimated more than 1,200 names among its five columns. The Korean conflict plaques list more than 165 names, and the Vietnam plaques list an estimated 225 or so names. 

The southwest corner of the park features the World War I Roll of Honor, which was dedicated “by the town of Thomaston to those who served their country in the World War.”

The Roll of Honor monument, which has an iron fence in front of it, also bears a quote from President Woodrow Wilson reading “in a righteous cause they have won immortal glory and have nobly served their nation in serving mankind.”

The monument also features a stylized representation of Liberty standing between a soldier and a sailor, who are surrounded with symbolic flourishes including an airplane, a lighthouse, a cannon and other decorative elements. 

War Memorial, ThomastonBelow these elements is a bronze plaque with four columns of names honoring members of the Army, Navy, Marines and, in an uncommon but rather nice touch, 10 Red Cross and Army nurses.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

World War Monument, Norwalk

 World War Monument, NorwalkA granite monument to the Norwalk soldiers who fought and died in the first World War sits on the Norwalk Green, near the intersection of East Avenue and Park Street. 

The monument, first dedicated in 1921, consists of five granite slabs mounted in a rectangular shape. The front (south) face bears the dedication “This monument is erected as a tribute of honor to the citizens of Norwalk, Conn., who devoted themselves to the cause of freedom in the service of our country during the great world war 1917-1919 and as a memorial to the men who made the supreme sacrifice.” Beneath this dedication are the names of 45 residents lost in the war. 

The sides of the monument feature seven bronze plaques bearing an estimated 1,200 names of Norwalk residents who fought in the conflict.

World War Monument, NorwalkThe front plaque also refers to a cannon “that surmounts this monument” being donated to the city in 1921 by the Republic of France, but a casual glance reveals a lack of cannons atop the monument. 

The French cannon, dating back to 1877, was removed from the monument in 1950, when the monument was moved from its original location on Belden Avenue outside the Norwalk Library. Between then and late last year, the cannon stood outside the local VFW post. 

According to a Norwalk Hour article from last December, the cannon, which was captured by the Germans and recaptured by the French during the war, was moved into storage for restoration and reinstallation on the World War Monument. 

World War Monument, Norwalk

War Memorials, Greenwich

War Memorials, GreenwichThe town of Greenwich offers an impressive collection of monuments along Greenwich Avenue. 

A granite monument outside the Greenwich Commons “pocket park” (in front of the Board of Education offices) was dedicated in 1956 to honor those lost in World War II and subsequent conflicts. The monument depicts a WWII-era solider staring toward the south with a woman and a young girl kneeling or standing at his side. Beneath this image is the dedication “in reverent memory of those from the town of Greenwich who made the supreme sacrifice World War II Korea Vietnam”. 

In front of the monument, a large flagpole with an eight-sided granite base carries the names of Greenwich residents lost in World War II and Korea. Seven panels bear 185 names of World War II heroes, and one panel has 13 names of residents who were lost in Korea. 

To the south of the monument, a smaller granite marker carries 24 names of local residents killed in the Vietnam War. 

War Memorial, GreenwichNear this monument is a statue of military aviation pioneer Raynal C. Bolling, who was killed in the first world war. Beneath a bronze statue of Bolling looking to the sky is a simple inscription bearing only his last name. The rear of the monument is inscribed with his name and biographical information, as well as an explanation of Bolling’s role in the early days of military aerial combat.  

Bolling Air Force base in Washington, D.C, is named for the aviator. 

The sculptor of the Bolling monument, Edward Clark Potter, also created the lions outside the New York Public Library, the statue of General Henry Warner Slocum in Gettysburg and other monuments. 

Near the Bolling monument is a tree that was planted April 9, 1914 by the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War-era veteran’s organization. Unfortunately, the dedication listed on the bottom half of the marker (which has apparently been disturbed by the tree’s roots) is covered by grass and soil, and we didn’t think the local police would be pleased by the efforts of a monument blogger found uncovering the inscription. 

Raynal Bolling Memorial, GreenwichA little further south on Greenwich Avenue is the town’s World War monument, a 50-foot obelisk that sits in a small park in front of the town’s Post Office. The obelisk has a multi-sided base bearing the dedication “in honor of the men and women of Greenwich who served in the World War” as well as “in memory of those who died and an inspiration to all who follow.”

Another side of the base lists the following battles: Second Battle of the Marne, North Sea, St. Mihel, Ypres Lis, Meuse Argonne and Verdun. 

(The images in today’s post were taken in late February, when the tree near the World War monument still had Christmas decorations. The town’s Civil War monument, at Maple and East Putnam avenues, was highlighted in an earlier post.) 

 

 

 

World War Memorial, Greenwich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, Greenwich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Armistice Monument, West Haven

Armistice Monument, West HavenThe armistice monument on West Haven’s green was dedicated in 1928 to honor local residents who died in World War I. Over the years, the monument and its surroundings have been revamped and rededicated to honor heroes of later conflicts, including the current war in Iraq. 

The monument, on the Main Street (north) side of the green, is topped by an 11-foot bronze statue of a doughboy solider, who stands atop a granite base holding a rifle in one hand and a helmet in the other, outstretched, arm.  (The origins of the term “doughboy” vary, but it apparently referred to infantry troops during the Civil War. During the first world war, U.S. troops adopted it as a nickname for themselves and its meaning expanded to all branches of the service.)

The West Haven doughboy was sculpted by Anton Schaff, who also created a number of war memorials in New York and New Jersey, as well as several Confederate busts at Vicksburg (MS) National Military Park. 

Armistice Monument, West HavenA plaque on the front face of the West Haven’s monument’s base features four military figures (soldiers, an airman and a sailor) gathering with four civilians laborers and a dedication “to the memory of those who gave their lives in the great war 1917-1918.” 

Beneath the dedication is the American’s Creed, a pledge, similar to the Pledge of Allegiance, that was adopted by the U.S. House of Representatives in 1917. 

The other three faces of the monument’s base bear bronze plaques listing the names of 29 West Haven residents who died in World War I. Over the years, additional plaques were added to honor the residents who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, and smaller plaques reading “for those who gave their lives – World War I” were affixed to the bottom of the original plaques. 

Near the base of the monument, a separate granite marker has been dedicated to the memory of Thomas E. Vitagliano, 33, an Army staff sergeant who grew up in West Haven and Orange. Vitagliano and another soldier were killed Jan. 17, 2005 by an improvised vehicle explosive device in Iraq.

West Haven’s firefighters are honored by a bell-topped monument not far from the doughboy statue.  

Armistice Monument, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Armistice Monument, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Armistice Monument, West Haven

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Firefighters Monument, West Haven


World War Monument, Naugatuck

The front (east) face of Naugatuck's World War Monument

Naugatuck’s World War Monument is located on Meadow Street, northwest of the Soliders’ Monument in the center of the Town Green. The monument, which was dedicated in 1921, features a large marble rectangular flagpole base that sits in a small park next to Salem School. 

The front (or east) face of the monument bears the inscription “Victory is consecrated by a righteous peace” and two allegorical figures that most likely represent military strength and the importance of education. 

The rear (or west) face of the monument reads “In honor of the men of Naugatuck who gave their lives in the great war for the chaining of savagery and the liberation of a menaced world,” and carries the names of 30 local residents who were killed in the war. 

The south face reminds us that “Armed and absolute might triumphs through unselfish valor,” while the north face states “In

The rear (west) face of Naugatuck's World War Monument

time of peril the state is fortified by discipline learned in peace.” Both of these messages are topped by designs depicting fruit and ribbons draped between two ram heads (the symbolism of which extends beyond our experience). 

The monument was sculpted by Evelyn Beatrice Longman, whose other works include the “Golden Boy” statue that long served as a corporate symbol for AT&T. She also sculpted the Spanish-American War memorial in Hartford’s Bushnell Park, decorative elements on the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC, and a variety of other works. 

Near the World War Monument, a flagpole in front of Salem School serves as a monument to the Spanish-American War in 1898. A plaque at the base of the flagpole commemorates the USS Maine, which sunk in Havana’s harbor after an explosion of an undetermined cause. An identical plaque adorns a memorial in Bridgeport’s Seaside Park. 

The south face

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Facing northeast, toward Meadow Street

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spanish-American War monument, Naugatuck

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Outside Salem School in Naugatuck, facing east toward the Town Green