Veterans’ Memorial Green, Middletown

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownA collection of monuments on Veterans’ Memorial Green along Washington Street in Middletown honors those who served in the Civil War, the two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam.

A 1904 monument near the western end of the green honors the 24th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, a Civil War unit that fought primarily in Louisiana. The monument features a short column flanked by two curved benches and a sphere topped by a bronze eagle. The front (north) face of the monument bears the numeral 24 in a wreath, and lists the battle of Port Hudson. A bronze plaque is inscribed with a dedication “Erected by members of the 24th C.V., citizens of Middletown and [the] state of Connecticut 1904.”

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownThe west face of the monument lists the battle of Irish Bend. The south face lists the battle of Donaldsonville, and bears a plaque honoring about 75 members of the regiment who were killed in action, had died from wounds, or had died after the war’s conclusion. The east face lists the battle of Baton Rouge.

Further east on the green, a polished black granite monument honors the veterans of the Korean and Vietnam wars. Four large panels bears service emblems and the years of the two conflicts, as well as a dedication “Beyond the far Pacific to the rim of Asia they went – twice in a generation – to risk all for honor and freedom.”

The monument’s rear lists two residents who were killed in Vietnam.

Further east, a tall white obelisk honors 37 soldiers and sailors who died in World War I.  A plaque on the south side lists the names of the war heroes, while a plaque on the west side lists the names of seven battles.

24th CT Volunteers Monument, MiddletownNearby, three polished granite panels honor the service of World War II veterans. The front bears the dedications “Their devotion and sacrifices contributed to final victory” and “Dedicated to the men and women of Middletown who served in the armed forces of their country in time of war.”

The rear bears a bronze plaque with three columns listing residents who were lost in the war.

24th CT Volunteers Monument, Middletown

Korea and Vietnam Memorial, Middletown

Veterans' Memorial Green, Middletown

World War Monument, Middletown

World War II Monument, Middletown

World War II Monument, Middletown


Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

World War II Memorial, Bridgeport

World War II Memorial, BridgeportOn the 65th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, the city of Bridgeport dedicated a new memorial honoring the 550 local residents lost in World War II.

The new monument, made from polished black granite, was dedicated during a ceremony Saturday morning that featured World War II veterans and local officials who gathered on the Broad Street side of McLevy Hall.

In the video at the top of this post, you can watch the unveiling of the monument Saturday morning. A bit later, you’ll see the placement of a wreath in front of the monument by Bridgeport mayor Bill Fitch and his father, who served in a destroyer during the Normandy invasion on D-Day.

World War II Memorial, BridgeportStanding near the monuments to World War I and the Vietnam War, the World War II memorial bears the dedication “to those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that others would live.”

The monument also features three panels listing local residents killed in the conflict, as well as two panels with images from the war.

The panels listing the local heroes are framed by two small waterfalls symbolizing the war’s Atlantic and Pacific theaters. The waterfalls feed a small pool just above the monument’s base. At night, the monument is lit by a series of small lights embedded in the monument’s frieze.

The monument also honors the contributions of Bridgeport’s large manufacturers and employers to the war effort. For instance, the Corsair airplanes featured in the upper third of the far-left panel were manufactured in the city. In addition, 37 local companies are listed on the four panels that comprise the monument’s base (The fact that many of the companies listed on the monument have left Bridgeport, been acquired or closed altogether reflects the shift of manufacturing away from the northeastern United States and, eventually, out of the country).

World War II Memorial, BridgeportThe monument was designed by U.S. Navy Commander Ted Grabarz, who spoke during the dedication ceremony.

During the dedication ceremony, a block-long section of Broad Street was closed to traffic and filled with seated veterans and family members. People also watched the ceremony from the plaza in front of the City Hall annex building across the street.

 The reasons for the long delay after the war’s conclusion to build a World War II monument aren’t clear. The effort gained momentum about four years ago when a committee was formed by the previous mayoral administration, and the current mayor maintained the project’s momentum.

World War II Memorial, BridgeportThe area around the monument was renovated into a tasteful plaza that includes a walkway of memorial bricks honoring local veterans. The monument’s organizers say additional bricks will be installed in time for Veterans’ Day ceremonies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Memorial, Bridgeport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Navy Cmdr. Ted Grabarz, the monument's designer
Navy Cmdr. Ted Grabarz, the designer of the monument

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Memorial Dedication, Bridgeport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Memorial, Bridgeport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Memorial, Bridgeport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Memorial, Bridgeport

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ Monument, Woodbury

Soldiers' Monument, WoodburyAn 1871 obelisk and two cannons on Woodbury’s South Green honor the sacrifice of local residents killed in the Civil War.

The understated design of the monument predates the popularity of adding figures to the tops of Civil War monuments, and the Woodbury monument is similar to obelisks erected in North Branford and Northfield (both of which were dedicated in 1866).

The front (west) face of the monument bears the dedication “in memory of Woodbury soldiers who died in the rebellion of 1861,” as well as the names, ranks and dates of death of eight local residents killed in the conflict. The south face lists 12 names, while the east and north faces both list 13 names.

The front face also bears the seal of the state of Connecticut, and the names on all four faces are surrounded by an ornamental border.

Soldiers' Monument, WoodburyThe monument’s architect, Robert W. Hill, also designed the state armory in Waterbury, the Thomaston Opera House and the Winchester Soldiers’ Monument. 

The cannons, whose markings are difficult to discern, were added to the green well after the monument was dedicated.

Plaques on three boulders north of the Civil War monument honor local residents who served in the World War. Near the tips of the green, a boulder honoring World War I veterans lists the names of 65 men and one woman, and indicates that two men were killed in the conflict.

The World War monument is flanked by two boulders bearing plaques listing the names of men and women who served in World War II, including about a dozen residents who died in the war.

Soldiers' Monument, Woodbury

Soldiers' Monument, Woodbury

World War Monument, Woodbury

World War II Monument, Woodbury

World War I and II monuments, Woodbury

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonSeveral monuments honoring the wartime service of local residents grace Coe Memorial Park in downtown Torrington.

At the north end of the park, near the intersection of Main Street and Litchfield Turnpike, stands the Wolcottville Soldiers’ Monument, which reflects the name of the city during the monument’s dedication in 1879.

The monument, with an uncommon round shaft, features an infantry soldier holding a rifle. The front (north) face includes the Connecticut and United States shields above a dedication “to the defenders of the Union.” The monument’s rear lists the battles of Gettysburg and Antietam, as well as Virginia battles at Winchester, Malvern Hill, Cold Harbor, Petersburgh (sic) and Cedar Creek.

The monument was moved to the park from its former location, in front of city hall, in 1936.

Near the center of the park is a large flagpole with a six-sided base that honors veterans from conflicts including the two World Wars, the American Revolution, the Spanish-American War, Korea, Vietnam, and the Civil War. Veterans of the First World War are listed, while the other wars are honored with more generic descriptions. A plaque also singles out local Italian-American veterans for recognition.

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonNear the flagpole monument, the local VFW post donated a 155-mm howitzer that looks impressive in the park. The barrel looks poised to cause serious damage to the rest of downtown Torrington.

At the southern end of the park, a large stone fountain honors the service and sacrifice of local Vietnam veterans and heroes.

Coe Memorial Park was donated to the city in 1908 by the children of Lyman Wetmore Coe and his wife, Eliza Seymour Coe. Mr. Coe was the owner of a local brass company, and the park was the site of their homestead. 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

 

War Memorial, Danbury

War Memorial, DanburyA collection of monuments near the War Memorial community center and gym in Danbury honor the service and sacrifice of local veterans and war heroes.

The War Memorial, built in 1951 near the entrance to Rogers Park, was dedicated “to honor the dead [and] to serve the living.” The facility offers recreational facilities and community events, and the grounds in front of the building feature memorials to the World Wars, Vietnam and Korea, and honor two local recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Near the War Memorial entrance are five plaques honoring those who served in the major wars since World War I. Starting at the visitor’s left, the first plaque bears the dedication “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in World War II 1941-1945 The memory of these departed heroes always lives,” and lists the names  of 103 residents lost in the war.

War Memorial, DanburyThe next monument to the right lists a dozen names of people from Danbury and surrounding towns who died in the Korean War.

In the center of the monument collection is a plaque dedicated “In honor of the men and women of Danbury who served in the World War 1917-1919 And in memory of these men who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty.” The plaque lists the names, service affiliation, and the date and location of death, of 35 men.

The nearby Vietnam memorial lists the names of 59 men from Danbury and other towns who were killed or reported missing in the war.

The monument on the visitor’s far right also honors World War I veterans, and was erected by the Danbury High School alumni association to honor graduates who served in the war. Four columns of names are listed, and three graduates who died in the war are honored separately on the plaque (as well as on the other World War I memorial).

War Memorial, DanburyNear the north end of the grounds in front of the War Memorial is a 1988 monument honoring the service of men and women from the region in the Vietnam War. The monument is topped by a statue of an infantry soldier cradling a young girl. The soldier is mounted on a granite base with three bronze plaques.

The central plaque lists the names of 47 men from Danbury and the towns of Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Redding and Ridgefield who were lost in the conflict. The plaque on the left depicts a map of Vietnam and service medals, and the right plaque depicts a medical evacuation scene.

We were impressed at the gesture made by Danbury veterans to honor their colleagues from neighboring towns on the Vietnam and Korea monuments.

War Memorial, DanburyA bit south of the Vietnam memorial is a polished black granite monument to the sacrifice of 17 men from the region who were killed in the Korean War. The monument is topped by an eagle standing on top of a globe. The central panel features an etched map of Korea and a dedication to those who died, are missing or returned safely. (These photos were taken in mid-March, which helps explain the holiday wreath at the base of this monument.)

The left panel honors the memory of war heroes from Danbury, New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Redding and Newtown, and the right panel has an explanation and statistics that educate visitors about the war.

Two smaller nearby monuments honor local heroes who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, and several trees commemorate the Sept. 11 victims and local residents who have made a variety of civic contributions to Danbury. 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Danbury

Soldiers’ Monument, North Branford

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordAn 1866 obelisk on the North Branford town green was among the first monuments in the state to honor Civil War veterans.

The monument stands on the green along Foxon Road (Route 80), next to the Congregational Church, and was dedicated in April of 1866 — less than a year after the war’s conclusion.  The monument a bears simple inscription on its front (southeast) face reading “Our soldiers” and the year 1865.

The northeast face of the monument lists the names, unit affiliations and places of death of two local soldiers killed in the war. The northwest face lists three soldiers and the southwest face honors two soldiers.

The Civil War monument is one in a series of monuments aligned along the town green. Moving south, the next monument is a boulder with a bronze plaque that honors World War I veterans. The plaque bears the dedication “to the men who served their country during the World War” and lists 17 names.

Soldiers' Monument, North BranfordNext to that monument is another stone monument with a plaque, apparently of recent vintage, with four columns of names honoring veterans of World War II. A separate monument, further south, honors six local residents who were killed in the war.

Completing the monument collection on the green is a rough boulder at the southern end that is dedicated to those who served in the Vietnam War. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers' Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Green, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam Monument, North Branford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sources:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

History of North Branford

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

War Memorial Boulder, NorthfordA boulder on Middletown Avenue in the Northford section of North Branford honors local residents who served in the wars between the American Revolution and World War II.

The boulder was first dedicated in 1920, when the bronze plaque on the front (east) face honored veterans of the American Revolution, Civil War and the World War. The monument’s dedication reads “Erected in 1920 by the Society of Northford in honor of her sons who answered their country’s call.”

The American Revolution section lists 50 names. The Civil War section lists 32 names, and the World War Honor Roll lists nine names.

The boulder sits in a small triangular area where Middletown Avenue intersects with Clintonville and Old Post roads. The church uphill from the monument is the Northford Congregational Church.

War Memorial Boulder, NorthfordThe rear side of the monument bears an undated plaque (obviously added after the war) that honors World War II veterans. The plaque lists the names of 78 local residents who served in the war, with stars indicating the names of two residents who were killed in the conflict. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial Boulder, Northford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

Soldiers’ Monument, Guilford

Soldiers' Monument, GuilfordA two-toned monument of pink and gray granite honoring Civil War veterans stands at the center of the green in Guilford. 

The monument, featuring an infantryman standing with a rifle in his hands, was completed in two stages that were dedicated 10 years apart. The base, made of pink granite quarried locally, was dedicated in 1877. The soldier, made of gray granite and supplied from a Massachusetts firm, was dedicated in 1887. 

Such a delay in the construction of Civil War monuments, while not common, was not unique to Guilford. The figure atop the Soldiers’ Monument on the Derby Green, for instance, was dedicated six years after the base. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe dedication on the front (south) face of the Guilford monument reads: “In memory of the men of Guilford who fell and in honor of those who served in the war for the Union, the grateful town erects this monument, that their example may speak to coming generations.” The south face also lists the battle of Antietam, as well as the names and regimental affiliations of 14 residents killed in the war. 

The east face lists Gettysburg and an additional 14 names. The north face, which is harder to read, lists Fredericksburg (Va.) and an estimated 15 names. The west face lists Port Royal (S.C.) and 14 names. The first name listed on the west face is Douglas Fowler, a Guilford native who was commanding the 17th Conn. Volunteer Regiment when he was killed in Gettysburg on the first day of the battle (July 1, 1863). 

The gray infantry figure, like many Hollywood starlets, appears to have undergone repairs to his nose at some point during the 121 years he has stood in Guilford. 

On the southwest corner of the green, a boulder bears a bronze plaque dedicated “in honor of our men and women who served in the World War 1917 1918.” The monument also lists the names of about 97 residents who served, as well as four names of residents who gave their lives in the conflict. 

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordThe town’s World War II monument, on the southeast corner of the green, features three blocks of pink granite (that also may have been quarried locally). The central block, the largest of the three, honors 16 residents who died in the war by listing their names, ranks and service affiliations. The blocks to the east and west bear bronze plaques describing Guilford’s contributions to the war, including the fact that 500 men and women served in the military as well as the efforts of local farms and businesses. 

The Vietnam war sacrifice of three residents is honored by a 1984 monument on the  northwest corner of the green. That granite monument bears the dedication “Each peaceful dawn in this place we are reminded of these men who died for their country.”

Soldiers’ Monument, GuilfordA tree near the Vietnam monument has been dedicated to the memory of 9/11 victims, and a monument near the northeast corner of the green honors local firefighters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War II Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vietnam War Monument, Guilford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut


Soldiers’ Monument, Thomaston

Soldiers' Monument, ThomastonThomaston’s Civil War monument, dedicated in 1902, stands in a small park surrounded by monuments to the two World Wars and the conflicts that followed. 

The Soldiers’ Monument is a multi-layered, square granite shaft topped by a caped infantryman holding a rifle by its barrel. The front (west) side of the shaft bears the dedication “Erected by C.L. Russell Post, No. 68, G.A.R. and citizens, in commemoration of the soldiers who served in the Civil War.” (The G.A.R. refers to the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War veterans organization.) 

The west face also bears an ornate symbolic eagle in front of two crossed flags, and the battle of Cold Harbor (Va.) is displayed just below the infantryman’s feet.  

The south face commemorates the battle of Gettysburg and features an ornate wreath. The east face honors the battle of Cedar Creek (Va.) and displays the seal of the state of Connecticut. The north face bears a GAR medal and commemorates the battle of Appomattox (Va.), the site of General Lee’s surrender. 

An 1863 cannon stands to the north of the monument, and a later-vintage cannon (perhaps from World War I) stands on the south side of the monument. 

Soliders’ Monument, ThomastonBehind the Civil War monument, a large granite memorial honors veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam and in the Persian Gulf. Several bronze plaques list local residents who served in these conflicts, with the World War II monument listing an estimated more than 1,200 names among its five columns. The Korean conflict plaques list more than 165 names, and the Vietnam plaques list an estimated 225 or so names. 

The southwest corner of the park features the World War I Roll of Honor, which was dedicated “by the town of Thomaston to those who served their country in the World War.”

The Roll of Honor monument, which has an iron fence in front of it, also bears a quote from President Woodrow Wilson reading “in a righteous cause they have won immortal glory and have nobly served their nation in serving mankind.”

The monument also features a stylized representation of Liberty standing between a soldier and a sailor, who are surrounded with symbolic flourishes including an airplane, a lighthouse, a cannon and other decorative elements. 

War Memorial, ThomastonBelow these elements is a bronze plaque with four columns of names honoring members of the Army, Navy, Marines and, in an uncommon but rather nice touch, 10 Red Cross and Army nurses.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roll of Honor, Thomaston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

War Memorials, Greenwich

War Memorials, GreenwichThe town of Greenwich offers an impressive collection of monuments along Greenwich Avenue. 

A granite monument outside the Greenwich Commons “pocket park” (in front of the Board of Education offices) was dedicated in 1956 to honor those lost in World War II and subsequent conflicts. The monument depicts a WWII-era solider staring toward the south with a woman and a young girl kneeling or standing at his side. Beneath this image is the dedication “in reverent memory of those from the town of Greenwich who made the supreme sacrifice World War II Korea Vietnam”. 

In front of the monument, a large flagpole with an eight-sided granite base carries the names of Greenwich residents lost in World War II and Korea. Seven panels bear 185 names of World War II heroes, and one panel has 13 names of residents who were lost in Korea. 

To the south of the monument, a smaller granite marker carries 24 names of local residents killed in the Vietnam War. 

War Memorial, GreenwichNear this monument is a statue of military aviation pioneer Raynal C. Bolling, who was killed in the first world war. Beneath a bronze statue of Bolling looking to the sky is a simple inscription bearing only his last name. The rear of the monument is inscribed with his name and biographical information, as well as an explanation of Bolling’s role in the early days of military aerial combat.  

Bolling Air Force base in Washington, D.C, is named for the aviator. 

The sculptor of the Bolling monument, Edward Clark Potter, also created the lions outside the New York Public Library, the statue of General Henry Warner Slocum in Gettysburg and other monuments. 

Near the Bolling monument is a tree that was planted April 9, 1914 by the Grand Army of the Republic, the post-Civil War-era veteran’s organization. Unfortunately, the dedication listed on the bottom half of the marker (which has apparently been disturbed by the tree’s roots) is covered by grass and soil, and we didn’t think the local police would be pleased by the efforts of a monument blogger found uncovering the inscription. 

Raynal Bolling Memorial, GreenwichA little further south on Greenwich Avenue is the town’s World War monument, a 50-foot obelisk that sits in a small park in front of the town’s Post Office. The obelisk has a multi-sided base bearing the dedication “in honor of the men and women of Greenwich who served in the World War” as well as “in memory of those who died and an inspiration to all who follow.”

Another side of the base lists the following battles: Second Battle of the Marne, North Sea, St. Mihel, Ypres Lis, Meuse Argonne and Verdun. 

(The images in today’s post were taken in late February, when the tree near the World War monument still had Christmas decorations. The town’s Civil War monument, at Maple and East Putnam avenues, was highlighted in an earlier post.) 

 

 

 

World War Memorial, Greenwich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

World War Monument, Greenwich