Wall of Honor, Stafford

Wall of Honor, StaffordStafford honors veterans of the nation’s 20th century wars with monuments in a small park on West Main Street.

The Wall of Honor in Stafford’s Olympic Park, dedicated in 2005, features three granite memorials bearing bronze plaques as well as a large World War II cannon.

The central memorial lists the names of six Stafford residents who lost their lives while serving in World War I, as well as the names of 14 residents lost in World War II, and three who died while serving in Korea.

A sign in front of the memorial lists a resident who died while serving in Iraq.

Wall of Honor, StaffordThe central memorial is flanked by two larger granite monuments with bronze plaques listing residents who served in the nation’s wars during the 20th century.

 

 

 

 

 

Wall of Honor, Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wall of Honor, Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wall of Honor, Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wall of Honor, Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wall of Honor, Stafford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CTStafford Springs honors its Civil War veterans with a large cannon in Stafford Springs Cemetery on Monson Road (Route 32).

The cannon, dedicated in 1897, bears an inscription on its south (left) face reading, “A tribute to the patriotism of the men who went to the defence of the country from Stafford in the War of the Rebellion. The present bequeaths to the future the remembrance of the heroic past.”

The west face has an inscription reading, “Veterans 1861-1865.”

The north face bears an inscription reading, “Erected by Winter Post No. 44, G.A.R., assisted by the Woman Relief Corps, and the Sons of Veterans in honor of their comrades. Dedicated May 30, 1897.”

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CTThe north face of the monument’s base also highlights the donation of the surrounding veterans plot by Orrin Converse, a local attorney and officer of the Stafford Springs Savings Bank.

The cannon, a 32-pounder Rodman Gun, was cast in 1850.

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Memorial Cannon, Stafford Springs, CT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldier’s Monument, Stafford Springs

Stafford honors its Civil War veterans with a 1924 monument in its downtown Hyde Park.

The Soldiers’ Monument in the Stafford Springs section of town features a bronze statue on its front (east) face, and is topped by a bronze eagle.

The design reflects its relatively late dedication nearly 80 years after the end of the Civil War. No battles are listed, and the monument has very little lettering.

The allegorical figure wears a hooded cloak. Her left hand carries a wreath of forget-me-nots to symbolize immortality, along with palm leaves (glory), roses (love) and poppies (eternal rest).

Near the top of the column, the east and west faces display torches along with an excerpt from the Pledge of Allegiance, “One nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

The monument’s front face also displays the years of the Civil War inside a wreath. A dedication near the base reads, “The gift of Colonel Charles Warren to the town of his nativity.”

The north and south faces bear no lettering, and display torches.

The monument was funded with a bequest from Stafford native Charles Warren, a Civil War veteran who later became a merchant and banker. Warren, who died in 1920, also donated funds for the Warren Memorial Town Hall, which opened in 1924.

The monument was created by sculptor Frederic Wellington Ruckstull, who also created the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Baltimore and several busts at the Library of Congress.

Source: Smithsonian American Art Museum, Art Inventories Catalog