War of 1812 Monument, Stonington

Stonington honors the successful defense of the town against British warships during the War of 1812 with a granite monument.

The 1830 obelisk, topped with a naval shell, stands in the borough of Stonington’s Cannon Square.  An inscription on the monument’s north face reads, “These two guns of 18 pounds caliber were heroically used to repel the attack on Stonington of the  English naval vessels Ramilies, 74 guns, Pactolus, 44, Dispatch, 20, Nimrod, 20 and the bomb ship Terror. August 10, 1814.”

The monument’s north face also contains the Latin inscription “In perpetuam rei memoriam” (In everlasting remembrance of the event).

The monument’s south face honors “the defenders of the fort,” and lists the names of 10 residents who presumably manned the cannons during the English attack.

The monument commemorates the defense of Stonington during a British naval bombardment that lasted between August 9-12, 1814. A group of five British warships anchored off Stonington and shelled the city. No lives were lost in the attack, but 40 local buildings were damaged.

The two cannons flanking the monument were returned to the monument site on Tuesday, August 3, after a two-year restoration at Texas A&M. The 18-pounder cannons, cast at West Point Foundry in the 1780s, will be rededicated in ceremonies Saturday.

Woman’s Relief Corps Monument, Stonington

Stonington honors its Civil War veterans with a large granite marker in Evergreen Cemetery.

The boulder-shaped monument was dedicated in 1923, a relatively late date for a Civil War commemoration.  A somewhat-faded dedication on the monument’s front (north) face reads, “Erected by the W.R.C. to the brave sons of Stonington who fought in the War of 1861-1865.”

The W.R.C. refers to the Woman’s Relief Corps, an organization affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic, the Civil War veterans’ group. The monument also features an inscribed GAR logo on its front face.

The monument stands at the center of a veterans’ plot that includes four Civil War headstones at its corners. One honors a soldier who was killed at the battle of Port Hudson, La., in 1863, and another honors one who was killed in Fredericksburg, Va., in 1862. The other two headstones honor veterans who survived the war.

Source: Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut