Constitution Convention Oak, Torrington

Constitution Convention Oak, TorringtonA plaque on Torrington’s Main Street marks the location of a pin oak tree planted in 1902 to honor the convention that considered revisions to Connecticut’s state constitution.

Torrington’s Consitition Oak stands across Main Street from the Hotchkiss-Fyler House, which now serves as a Museum and the headquarters for Torrington’s historical society.

The plaque at the foot of the 1902 oak (the larger tree near the center of the first image) provides a history of the oak donation program.

Delegates to the constitution convention were sent by all 168 Connecticut municipalities at the time, and each delegate was presented with a pin oak seedling by Charles Hawley, one of the state’s U.S. Senators.

Constitution Convention Oak marker, TorringtonThe proposed constitutional amendments were defeated by voters.

Torrington’s delegate was Orsamus R. Fyler, a Civil War veteran who also served as Torrington’s postmaster, state insurance commissioner, Republican state chairman and a member of state railroad commission.

According to a 2002 survey of the pin oaks conducted by the Connecticut’s Notable Trees Program and the Connecticut College Arboretum, about 75 of the trees have died over the years, and the locations of 21 were not recorded.




Hotchkiss-Fyler House, Torrington










Coe Memorial Park, Torrington

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonSeveral monuments honoring the wartime service of local residents grace Coe Memorial Park in downtown Torrington.

At the north end of the park, near the intersection of Main Street and Litchfield Turnpike, stands the Wolcottville Soldiers’ Monument, which reflects the name of the city during the monument’s dedication in 1879.

The monument, with an uncommon round shaft, features an infantry soldier holding a rifle. The front (north) face includes the Connecticut and United States shields above a dedication “to the defenders of the Union.” The monument’s rear lists the battles of Gettysburg and Antietam, as well as Virginia battles at Winchester, Malvern Hill, Cold Harbor, Petersburgh (sic) and Cedar Creek.

The monument was moved to the park from its former location, in front of city hall, in 1936.

Near the center of the park is a large flagpole with a six-sided base that honors veterans from conflicts including the two World Wars, the American Revolution, the Spanish-American War, Korea, Vietnam, and the Civil War. Veterans of the First World War are listed, while the other wars are honored with more generic descriptions. A plaque also singles out local Italian-American veterans for recognition.

Coe Memorial Park, TorringtonNear the flagpole monument, the local VFW post donated a 155-mm howitzer that looks impressive in the park. The barrel looks poised to cause serious damage to the rest of downtown Torrington.

At the southern end of the park, a large stone fountain honors the service and sacrifice of local Vietnam veterans and heroes.

Coe Memorial Park was donated to the city in 1908 by the children of Lyman Wetmore Coe and his wife, Eliza Seymour Coe. Mr. Coe was the owner of a local brass company, and the park was the site of their homestead. 






Coe Memorial Park, Torrington












Coe Memorial Park, Torrington










Coe Memorial Park, Torrington












Coe Memorial Park, Torrington












Coe Memorial Park, Torrington









Coe Memorial Park, Torrington









Coe Memorial Park, Torrington











Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut