Trumbull honors its war veterans as well as the colonial governor for which it is named with monuments in front of Town Hall.
A granite monument on the eastern side of the green in front of Town Hall honors Trumbull’s veterans. A dedication on the front (northwest) face reads, “Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of the men and women of this community who served our country in all wars, Trumbull, 1958.”
The southeast face lists Trumbull residents lost in wars dating back to the French and Indian War (one name) and continuing through Vietnam (five names). The American Revolution and World War I sections both list one name. The Civil War section lists 16 names, and the World War II section honors 22 residents. (Trumbull’s World War II heroes are also honored with a monument in Beach Memorial Park).
Not far from the war memorial, a boulder monument honors the service of 23 veterans from the Trumbull Center section of town in the First World War (including four from one family, three from another and two from a third family).
On the western side of the green, a 2002 statue honors Jonathan Trumbull, for whom the town was named in 1797. Trumbull, a Lebanon native, served as governor from 1769 to 1784. Trumbull had the unique distinction of being appointed by the British and later being elected by residents of the newly independent state.
The statue, by sculptor John Janvrin Blair, depicts Trumbull holding a Bible in one hand and the Declaration of Independence in the other.
Trumbull, along with Roger Sherman, is one of two Connecticut notables honored in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall collection.
One of Trumbull’s town parks was donated to honor its World War II heroes.
Robert G. Beach Memorial Park was dedicated in 1946 to honor Beach and the 21 other Trumbull residents lost in the war.
The park’s monument circle features a large boulder with a 1950 dedication plaque explaining that the park was donated by Beach’s parents to honor Trumbull’s World War II veterans. The plaque lists the 22 residents killed in the war.
Near the boulder is a 1951 flagpole that honors Richard F. Moore, Jr., an Army Air Corps lieutenant killed in Germany in 1944. The flagpole was donated by his family.
The monument circle also features a 155mm howitzer artillery piece. A 1994 plaque on the howitzer expresses a wish that someday all weapons of war will have their breaches and barrels welded shut.
Land for the park was purchased by Beach’s parents from Bridgeport Hydraulic Company. Beach’s father, E. Merrill Beach, was a local banking executive who founded the Trumbull Historical Society and wrote three books about Trumbull’s history.
Trumbull’s World War II heroes are also honored on the war memorial in front of Town Hall.
A boulder on the village green in the Nichols section of Trumbull honors veterans of both World Wars.
The boulder, not far from the green’s southwest tip and the intersection of Shelton Road and Huntington Turnpike (Route 108), features two undated plaques honoring local veterans.
The World War I plaque, mounted on the front face of the monument, lists the names of 18 residents under the heading “Nichols, Conn., World War veterans, 1917-1918.
Atop the boulder, a plaque honors World War II veterans with a dedication reading, “In memory of the men and women of the Village of Nichols who served in World War II.” The plaque also lists the names of five residents who were killed, and the names of 103 residents are listed in four columns.
Also near the tip of the green, a stone monument bears the seal of the town of Trumbull.
To the west of the green, near the corner of Huntington Turnpike and Unity Road, stands the village’s landmark Bunny Fountain. The fountain originally stood at the tip of the green, and included a kerosene lamp and a horse trough. Over the years, the lamp was removed and the bunnies were added, and the fountain was moved twice to its present location.