Harrub Pilgrim Memorial, Waterbury

A granite memorial in Waterbury’s Chase Park honors the wife of the monument’s donor as well as the Pilgrims who landed in Massachusetts.

The Harrub Pilgrim Memorial, near the corner of Highland and Sunnyside avenues, was dedicated in 1930 to honor the Pilgrims as well as Rhoby Harrub, the wife of the monument’s donor Charles Harrub.

Harrub Pilgrim Monument, Waterbury, CT

The monument, carved from French granite, stands 24 feet tall with 10-foot figures depicting Pilgrim settlers and Native Americans on the monument’s southwest face.

A dedication on the monument’s northeast face reads:

Plymouth Rock does not mark a beginning or an end. It marks a revelation of that which is without beginning and without end. A purpose shining through eternity with a resplendent light undimmed even by the imperfections of men and a response an answering purpose from those who oblivious disdainful of all else sailed hither seeking only for an avenue for the immortal soul. – Calvin Coolidge

A dedication on the monument’s northwest face reads:

Moved by the illustrious record of the Pilgrim Fathers, the donor Charles Harrub in loving memory of his wife Rhoby S. Harrub and of her sympathetic accord, dedicates this monument to the townspeople of Waterbury to keep ever in mind the conquest of hardship and adversity through virile Christian character and unflinching loyalty to almighty God on which was reared the structure of New England.

The monument was created by sculptor Herman A. MacNeil, whose other works include several statues on the Connecticut State Capitol building.

Charles H. Harrub, a Massachusetts native and Navy veteran during the Civil War, served for many years as the chief engineer of the Waterbury Brass Company. Among his inventions was a lubricator for milling machines.

After his wife Rhoby passed in 1921, Harrub donated $100,000 (nearly $1.5 million in 2020 dollars) fund a memorial to honor Rhoby and the Pilgrims. At the time, just after the 300th anniversary of their Plymouth Rock landing, the Pilgrims and the Colonial era were regarded highly.

Harrub, for instance, wanted to highlight the virtues of courage, character and the capacity for leadership.

The monument was moved to its current location to accommodate the construction of Interstate 84. At the time of its dedication, it stood on Riverside Street near Freight Street.

Harrub donated his considerable estate to Waterbury to create a trust that still benefits the community. His wife was also honored by a performing arts facility in Library Park.

Near the Harrub monument, a granite monument dedicated in 1935 honors the original settlement of Waterbury in 1675.

Soldiers’ Monument, Waterbury

Soldiers' Monument, WaterburyThe elaborate Civil War monument at the west end of Waterbury’s green was dedicated in 1884 to honor local residents who served in the conflict, and, uncommonly among monuments of the era, addresses some of the social changes brought about by the war. 

The monument, nearly 50 feet tall, is topped by an allegorical statue representing Victory. She stands atop a granite column that features four bronze statues representing the fact that people from all walks of life participated in (or were affected by) the war. 

The west face, for instance, features a farmer clutching a rifle. On the north side, a seated soldier, with bedroll and rifle handy, is resting. The east face features a laborer with a sword in his hand. 

Soldiers’ Monument, WaterburyThe sculpture on the south face makes a rare reference to the emancipation of slaves by depicting a woman with a book reading to two children — one is white, and the other is African-American. This represents the new educational opportunities possible since the  elimination of slavery. 

The west face also features a bas-relief sculpture depicting a pitched battle, and the east face displays the naval battle between the ironclad ships the Monitor and the Merrimac. 

The south face carries a dedication “in honor of the patriotism and to perpetuate the memory of the more than 900 brave men who went forth from this town to fight in the war for the Union, this monument has been erected by their townsmen that all who come after them may be mindful of their deeds, and fail not in the day of trial to emulate their example.”

The north face bears a somewhat florid poem written by the Rev. Dr. Joseph Anderson:

Brave men, who rallying at your country’s call,

Went forth to fight, if heaven willed, to fall!

Returned, ye walk with us through summer years

And hear a nation say, God bless you all!

Brave men, who yet a heavier burden bore,

And came not home to hearts by grief made sore!

The call you dead, but lo! Ye grandly love,

Shrined in the nation’s love forever more!

The traffic island hosting the monument (a location that hinders careful examination or photography) features four lampposts with shafts that are shaped like cannons with rifles leaning against them.

Soldiers’ Monument, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ Monument, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soldiers’ Monument, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Source: CHS: Civil War Monuments of Connecticut

War Memorial, Waterbury

 War Memorial, WaterburyA 1958 granite memorial to veterans of all wars stands at the center of Waterbury’s green. The monument features a multi-faceted base, above which four columns rise. The columns are connected by granite blocks with engraved emblems of the service branches that are varied on the different sides to prevent favoritism among the branches. 

The east face of the monument bears an inscribed dedication “in honor of all those who served in the wars of our country. The inscription is flanked by markers bearing the names and dates of the American Revolution as well as the conflicts in Korea and Vietnam. 

The north face honors the War of 1812 and the Mexican War; the west face honors the Civil and Spanish-American wars; and the south face honors the two World Wars. The north, west and south faces also feature stone eagles sitting above the shield of the United States.  

War Memorial, WaterburyThe large round black items near the base of the monument are spotlights, although at a casual glance, they may look like trash cans. The monument is also surrounded by a low evergreen hedge.

Near the War Memorial is a Freedom Tree flanked by two sets of monuments in honor of service members who were declared missing in action during in Korea and Vietnam. The Korea monument has four names, and the Vietnam monument has two. 

These images of the war memorial were taken in mid-February, when a large menorah still graced the green. The Civil War monument in the background of some images sits at the west end of Waterbury’s green, and will be profiled on Wednesday. 

 

War Memorial, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

War Memorial, Waterbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

POW/MIA Memorial, Waterbury