The monument, dedicated in 1892, was carved from a 14-foot block of solid granite and features distinctive carvings. A dedication on the front (north) face reads, “In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Bethel who gave their lives in defence of the Union 1861-1865.”
The dedication’s carving resembles a scroll suspended from a rod that hangs from just below the feet of an eagle near the top of the monument’s face. A ribbon unfurled next to the eagle reads “Union,” and “Liberty.”
The monument’s base features an intricately carved trophy featuring two rifles and crossed swords along with a soldier’s equipment belt, hat, rucksack and bedroll.
The sides of the monument are mostly rough rock face, other than two granite cannonball pyramids.