The CT Post reports planned renovations to the magnificent Winchester Soldiers Monument in Winsted are on hold because $100,000 in a dedicated fund appear to have been stolen by a former finance director accused of stealing at least $2 million from the town.
The First Connecticut Heavy Artillery band at Fort Darling, Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia, in April of 1965.
The full-resolution image is available at the Library of Congress.
This undated image detail shows the First Regiment Connecticut Heavy Artillery, at Fort Richardson in Arlington, Virginia.
The First Heavy Artillery was formed in the spring of 1861 as the Fourth Volunteer Infantry. In January, 1862, the regiment was converted into a heavy artillery unit.
At Fort Richardson, the regiment participated in the defense of Washington, D.C.
When the Peninsula Campaign began in March of 1862, the First CT was deployed and participated in several engagements. The regiment returned to the defense of Washington and later was involved in fighting near Fort Fisher, N.C., as well as the sieges of Petersburg and Richmond.
The unit mustered out in September, 1865, after more than four years of service.
The full image, in a variety of resolutions, can be viewed at the Library of Congress.
In honor of Veterans’ Day, we’re going to run images of selected Connecticut Civil regiments from the Library of Congress this week.
Our first image (which you can click to enlarge) depicts the Third Connecticut Regiment Infantry, which served for three months at the beginning of the Civil War.
(Based on early (and overly optimistic) expectations that the Confederacy would be defeated quickly, members of early regiments enlisted for only 90 days.)
In a detail section from a larger image, one of the regiment’s companies is pictured during their training at Camp Douglass in Chicago. (The facility was initially used as a training ground, and became a Confederate prison camp in 1862.)
The regiment left Hartford in May of 1861, and participated in the first Battle of Bull Run in July. The unit mustered out in Hartford in mid-August.
Among the regiment’s officers was Douglas Fowler, a Guilford native and Norwalk locksmith who would later re-enlist in the 8th volunteer infantry regiment, and muster out in February 1862, and then he joined the 17th volunteer infantry regiment. Fowler was commanding the 17th when he was killed in Gettysburg during the battle’s first day.
The full image, in a variety of resolutions, can be viewed at the Library of Congress site.
Lincoln’s early relatives, including his great-great-great-great grandfather Samuel, were among the English settlers of Hingham.
The Lincoln statue, on a green near Samuel Lincoln’s home on Lincoln Street, was dedicated in 1939. The south face of the monument’s base bears an inscription with the “With malice toward none, with charity for all” excerpt from Lincoln’s second inaugural address in 1865.
The north face bears a dedication to the family of Everett Whitney, a local lumber dealer who funded with statue with a $30,000 donation (more than $492,000 in today’s dollars) bequest.
The sculpture was created by Charles Keck, whose other works include a Harry S. Truman bust in the U.S. Capitol, the Father Francis P. Duffy statue in New York’s Time Square, the bronze USS Maine plaque that was mounted in nearly 1,000 locations and numerous other works.
A memorial near the north end of the green honors Benjamin Lincoln, another descendent of Hingham’s settlers. Benjamin Lincoln served as a major general during the American Revolution, and accepted the British surrender at Yorktown. He also served as the first secretary of war of the United States.
The cannon, dedicated in 1897, bears an inscription on its south (left) face reading, “A tribute to the patriotism of the men who went to the defence of the country from Stafford in the War of the Rebellion. The present bequeaths to the future the remembrance of the heroic past.”
The west face has an inscription reading, “Veterans 1861-1865.”
The north face bears an inscription reading, “Erected by Winter Post No. 44, G.A.R., assisted by the Woman Relief Corps, and the Sons of Veterans in honor of their comrades. Dedicated May 30, 1897.”
The cannon, a 32-pounder Rodman Gun, was cast in 1850.
The monument, near the intersection of South Street (Route 8) and Maple Street (Route 143), was dedicated in 1923 and features a Civil War cannon.
A dedication plaque on the northeast face of the monument’s base reads, “This memorial was erected by the Town of Hinsdale and dedicated May 30, 1923. The Civil War tablet and the cannon and balls used in the Civil War, are the gift of Francis E. Warren, soldier and statesman, United States Senator from Wyoming, a native of Hinsdale, award [the] Medal of Honor as follows; ‘Volunteered in response to a call and took part in the movement that was made upon the enemy’s work under a heavy fire therefrom in advance of the general assault.’”
A plaque on the northwest face honors veterans of the American Revolution, Spanish-American War, World War I, and fighting along the Mexican border in 1916.
A plaque on the southeast face honors Hinsdale’s Civil War veterans.
The cannon was used in the siege and battle of Port Hudson, Louisiana. Warren, who also served as governor of Wyoming, was honored for his actions during that battle and donated the cannon to Hinsdale. A U.S. Air Force missile base in Wyoming is named after Warren.
Thanks to Mom and Dad for the images in this post.