Port Chester, N.Y.’s 1900 Civil War Monument underwent a significant restoration in late 2008.
The monument, in a triangular park at the intersection of the Boston Post Road (Route 1) and Pearl Street, features a bronze statue of a Civil War officer and an eagle atop an ornate granite obelisk. The eagle is a 2008 replacement for the original, which had been stolen (as was a smaller replacement for the first stolen eagle).
The front (southwest) face of the monument features a bronze statue of Lt. Col. Nelson B. Bartram, a Port Chester native who commanded the 17th New York Infantry Regiment before commanding the 20th Regiment of the United States Colored Troops. Bartram’s units saw action at Antietam as well as both Battles of Bull Run and the New Orleans region.
The front face also features a bronze representation of a Grand Army of the Republic medallion.
A plaque on the southeast face of the monument’s base is dedicated “To the Union Defence (sic) Committee of the Town of Rye who pledged their honor to sustain the government and ensure a successful outcome of the war of the rebellion.”
Ornate scrollwork near the top of the monument features the U.S. seal, and the other faces are decorated with stone wreaths that surround Union Army corps symbols.
The monument was designed by John Massey Rhind, whose Connecticut commissions include the statue of Samuel Colt and the Corning Fountain in Hartford, as well as statues outside the New Haven County Courthouse. Rhind also designed four monuments on the Gettysburg battlefield and numerous other public monuments and statues.
Rhind’s statue of Bartram was cast three years before the monument’s formal dedication, which was delayed by objections from some local veterans that the monument was honoring an officer, instead of an enlisted man.
During the 2008 restoration, a new eagle was created to match the size of the original, and the statue was restored to its original dark brown color.
The village of Sleepy Hollow, N.Y., honors local Civil War veterans with a granite-and-bronze monument in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.
The monument, near southwestern corner of the cemetery, was dedicated in 1890 by the local GAR post. Inscriptions on the front (west) face include a Latin dedication, along with “Our Union Soldiers” and the following poem: “While Freedom’s name is understood, they shall delight the wise and good; They dared to set their country free and gave her laws equality 1861-1865”
The monument’s south, east and north faces feature bronze plaques honoring local veterans. The references to Greenburgh and Mount Pleasant reflect the fact that the Village of Sleepy Hollow lies within Mount Pleasant, which is just north of Greenburgh.
The monument is surrounded by a plot containing graves of Civil War veterans.
The infantry soldier was sculpted by Johnson Marchant Mundy, who was legally blind when he created the figure.
Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, along Route 9, is the final resting place for a range of notables including author Washington Irving (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip van Winkle), Andrew Carnegie, Walter Chrysler, Elizabeth Arden and others. The cemetery also includes an American Revolution monument (that we didn’t photograph because we hadn’t read about before our visit), and a thriving deer population.
Smithsonian American Art Museum, Art Inventories Catalog