Soldiers’ Monument, Unionville

Soldiers' Monument, UnionvilleThe Soldiers’ Monument in the Unionville section of Farmington was dedicated in 1916 to honor residents of the village who served in the Civil War.

The monument features three figures — a standard-bearer stands atop the column, while its base is flanked by an artillery soldier on one side and an infantryman on the other. Infantry, artillery, calvary and naval symbols grace the column. The front column also features the logo of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Union veterans’ fraternal organization.

The front of the base is inscribed with “Unionville honors the earth that wraps her heroes’ clay.”

The monument was funded primarily by Captain Nathaniel C. Hayden, a veteran of the 16th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers who was wounded in the battle of Antietam. Capt. Hayden was a successful local businessman who lobbied for funds to build the monument. Eventually, he had it built himself. Fortunately, he lived long enough to attend the dedication.

The monument sits near the First Church of Christ Congregational at the intersections of Main Street (Route 4), School Street and Lovely Street (Route 177).

Soldiers' Monument, UnionvilleDiagonally across the intersection is a memorial to 19 Unionville residents who died in the two world wars, Korea and Vietnam.

The name for the village of Unionville refers to its location near the corners of the towns of Farmington, Avon and Burlington.

Soldiers' Monument, Unionville

Soldiers' Monument, Unionville

War memorial, Unionville

War memorial, Unionville

Sources:

Connecticut Historical Society: Civil War Monuments in Connecticut